Thursday, July 23, 2009

Chinese herbs for allergies and sinus

Just read an article in the Wall Street Journal about a Chinese herbal formula called Bian Pian. This is a safe, well established formula that seems to have a drying effect on the nasal membranes. In fact it seems to work too well in some cases and can actually make you too dry. (In cases such as that, discontinue or reduce dosage). The studies on Bian Pian were positive in some cases and inconclusive in others. I also use another formula for respiratory problems that is administered by the inhalation of steaming herbs (think vaporizer). This formula which translates into "Open Lung", has the effect of opening the nasal passages and is generally safe. I am currently treating a difficult case where I am using a combination of both herbal formulas. The patient has a "dry" type rhinitis but this is compounded by a deviated septum. The finding of deviated septum was confirmed by MRI. Many times, multiple formulas are used to treat the same basic problem. When I studied in China, I noticed that this was fairly common practice in the hospital.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog. Keep writing. I learn something new each time.

Anonymous said...

Great blog. Learn something new each time. Do you ever hold classes or workshops for people that want to learn how to get more balance in their lives?

Dr. Tiegen said...

I hold various workshops throughout the year. The topics vary widely. In each workshop I utilize multiple interventions each with the common goal of establishing balance. Upcoming workshop will be on weight loss. It will be lead by a psychotherapist, a nutritionist and myself.