Monday, June 1, 2009

Introduction

I have been trained as a doctor in both the United States and China. I have seen firsthand how different kinds of healthcare systems can work together for the ultimate betterment of the patient. As early as 1,000 BC, in ancient China, there were actually five different medical systems that comprised Traditional Chinese Medicine: diet, herbal medicine, acupuncture, massage and exercise/Qi Gong. There was no conflict as to which way was the only way! Patients were (and still are) encouraged by their doctors to use one, several, or all of these systems. The oldest method, and the most fundamental method, was diet. In traditional Chinese food preparation, herbs were utilized and food was considered medicine. As a doctor I believe it is essential to not only help people be well but to teach them a way to stay well. In my practice I combine Chinese medicine, Western medicine, nutrition, lifestyle counseling, massage and many other modalities to help my patients find their pathway to health. I believe that only by combining all healthcare modalities in a proper and judicious way, using both the old and the new, can we hope to achieve the best outcomes for our patients, families and ourselves. In upcoming blogs, I will address specific examples and cases that demonstrate just how this works. Look for my next blog on how to lower cholesterol using safe, non prescription techniques. An actual case will be described.

No comments: