Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Staying Healthy While Traveling

I just received some inquiries re. my last posting," Eat Fat for Low Cholesterol." Specifically, how do I stay healthy on a cruise; how do I deal with so much food on a cruise; how do I stay healthy while traveling. For one thing, when you're out at sea for a 24 hour stretch or more there are two main attractions on the ship-food (24/7) and activities. The one activity that's available pretty much all the time is the spa and gym. I really could not make an excuse for not going to the latter at least a few times during my vacation. I found that not having to schedule gym time between work and my normal routines when at home was quite a luxury. I made a deal with myself- there was no way off the ship and therefore no easy out of exercise; so when I got bored and finished my second book and had eaten more food than any one should, I went to work out. Second secret: I was not my usual bang out the routine as fast as possible self. Instead, I was able to look out onto the ocean and kind of drift easily and, yes, very comfortably through weights, machines, sit ups, etc. After a few sessions and a massage, I was back! Third secret: I'm very lucky because my wife is a nutritionist and so although food quantities were large, selection was carefully done. For example, we're supposed to eat indigeneously. That is, in Hawaii eat pineapple, in California oranges and so forth. Well, our boat was loaded with fresh Alaska salmon at pretty much every port. Not only was this delicious and well prepared but it is super healthy for you containing the omega nutrients, fish oil etc. Lastly, when I got off the boat at the various ports I tried to get some more exercise by going on a glacier tour where you get to walk around and going out into nature to see the whales and eagles. There are lots of other "tricks" too numerous to go into right now. I often counsel people on these things as well as proper supplements in my practice. You can view some of these services on my website, WWW.Tiegenacupuncture.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand that exercise and diet are the main thing in weight management, but can you make any suggestions to help with overeating due to stress? Is there anything in Chinese medicine that will help with this?